I remember watching in the news about three years ago about
“sexting.” I thought it was interesting topic, so when we were given an
assignment on digital safety, I figured I needed to learn more about this
topic, of course to be more educated. When creating my presentation, I utilized
Wix.com; which is an excellent website that allows you to create amazing
websites. It has become easier for me to share with the children in my family,
my students, and generally, anyone who does not understand what “sexting” and
“textual harassment” is.
Digital
safety is all encompassing of preventing anything that might be dangerous to
teens, children, or anyone who is technological savvy, to a certain extent;
anyone who exposed to the internet or having a cellphone. But in understanding
the safeties, "A growing concern for parents, educators
and others involved with the welfare and well-being of children and
adolescents is related to young people’s ability to use these tools safety
and effectively" (Maclay). Since this can become a concern for many people
involved, it is important as educators to point out these safety rules, in
order to prevent, and deal with these technological problems.
Because the use of smartphones [or
any electronic device] has increase tremendously, so have the dangers of it. My
website contains useful and pertinent information to educate anyone who is
interested to know about sexting and textual harassment. It contains an
introduction to what sexting and textual harassment is, what the law says, some
stats, and prevetions. It is an easy navigating website that almost anyone can
use.
“Mobiles are a great way of
communicating and keeping in touch with our kids when they are out and about.
But mobiles can also be used for bullying or harassment. It's important that
you and your kids understand what's safe and what's not when it comes to mobile
use” (The Line,
1). I believe that this is the issue, is that children and teens are not that
educated on how serious sexting and textual harassment can be, But I am hoping
that when my website goes viral that more and more become educated and eventually
prevent malicious acts to be pursued.
Bibliography
Maclay, Colin, Gerrit Beger, Urs Gasser, and John Palfray. Digital Safety for Young People: Gathering
Creating New Models, and Understanding Existing Efforts. Retrieved from Technology at Unicef.
December 1, 2011. http://www.unicef.org/sowc2011/pdfs/Digital-safety-for-young-people.pdf.
Bibliography
Maclay, Colin, Gerrit Beger, Urs Gasser, and John Palfray. Digital Safety for Young People: Gathering
Creating New Models, and Understanding Existing Efforts. Retrieved from Technology at Unicef.
December 1, 2011. http://www.unicef.org/sowc2011/pdfs/Digital-safety-for-young-people.pdf.
No comments:
Post a Comment